The Season of Regrowth: Some Mental Truths

I'll just say it now, this has been a bit of a season where I have had to adapt, think on my feet, step out of the square, face decisions I haven't like, even reconsider the way I think... where do I even begin?  I have heard it so much lately: 'Change is coming,' 'there's a shift coming your way,' 'new season,' etc.  And I'll be brutally honest, it really scares me.

I think with all the growth and changes I experienced in the last few years, I craved some sort of 'comfort' and 'ease.'  For those that don't know me or my story, in a nut shell I went through a few years where I just kind of loosely moved through life with no real direction or self-worth, dated an alcoholic for a few years, became a mum, lost a sense of self identity, left my relationship with virtually nothing but my child, very few friends, some debt, unemployed and whatever could fit in my car.  Fast forward seven years and I have a secure job where I am going great, my child is doing amazing, I have a thriving fitness job on the side, bought a house, among other things.  All with a lot of hard work, self growth, listening to some hard truths, lots of failing, lots of figuring out what formula works for me, lots of tears and tribulations and lots of baby steps.  So right now I am enjoying the rewards of years of hard work, even though I am still doing some hustle in the background.

But this isn't a post about my hustle and what I have done over the last few years.  It's actually about working towards overcoming the fear of getting uncomfortable again.  I've been feeling the analogy of the blanket in the winter.  I know it will be cold when the blanket first comes off, but if I just get up and do it, I will adjust and it will be worth it.  If you're feeling in this same mindset as well, I hope you keep reading and get some inspiration... or maybe we can inspire each other!

Anyway, lately I've been in a bit of a mental 'fight or flight mode.'  I KNOW 100% that I will be fine and regardless of what happens in my life it's not the end of the world, but past circumstance tries to tell me something different and puts me into a feeling of threat that I didn't earn any of this.  It's a scary place to be in mentally, but I know this is the perfect opportunity to take the next step towards becoming better in all areas of my life and the person I am ultimately meant to be.  It's the tap on the shoulder to start taking some small risks.... that little voice trying to push through is trying to pull me away from becoming that person I am destined to be.

Here are some mindsets I have been working through lately to get me through those fears:

1. Don't be scared of what's coming, just focus on 'right now':

I took the really 'scary' step on my part an submitted a presenter audition video to hopefully one day become a presenter/ trainer.  If I was to be honest, I filmed about 5 different times until I found a video I wanted to send.  I felt really nervous when I sent the application.  An email came around my first job months ago asking if anyone was interested in a middle management position.  I decided to have a shot and reply.  Honestly I was almost 'packing myself' when sending the response because I knew it would dive me straight into an 'uncomfortable spot.  Both of those things scared me enormously because I knew deep down that there would be unknowns in the decisions, vulnerability in putting myself to the mirror and possibly hearing things I don't want to hear and getting a little uncomfortable.

I could sit here and 'wait with anxiety' for the answers.  But I am choosing not to.  The answer could be 'yes', it could be 'not yet.'  But it will never be 'never.'  All I need to do is keep doing what I am doing to grow right now and when the answer comes, just take it on and do what I need to do to make that change for the better.  And ultimately, there is reward in stepping out and getting uncomfortable, which takes me to mindset 2.

2. 'When I'm bold enough to 'step out', I will be rewarded:

Stepping out and reaching for bigger goals is scary.  The thought of being put under the microscope and being 'judged and critiqued' can be a little nerving even for the most confident person.  But there's a level of reward and respect for those who willingly step out and seek something bigger, it comes down to the approach, motivation and being prepared to being open-minded.  I believe the reward depends on the approach and motivation:  Why do you want this?  I mean REALLY want this?  Is it for the purpose of status?  To make yourself look better than everyone else?  Or is there a genuine heart felt reason for why you want it?  Are you willing to take on the work?  Are you willing to have the mirror put to you and at times hear the things you don't want to hear?  If your reward is out of selfish motivation, the reward will be temporary, but if it's out of positive and heart felt motivation, the rewards will be continuous regardless of the size and public noticeability.

3. When I step out, I will have to face a mirror:

Life has this great way of putting the mirror to you when you step out of your comfort zone, making you familiar with what you need to change and giving you the tools to do it.  All you have to do is listen and trust.  Maybe there's a habit you need to break?  A mindset you need to work through?  A relationship you need to repair?  Are you willing to recognise it and work through it?  The truth can be ugly sometimes, but if YOU are willing to work through it the transformation can be incredible!

4. There's something bigger in all of this:

Ultimately, there's something bigger, even beyond yourself in decisions.  Some days, no matter how great you are.... how perfect the weather is.... how well the cards come together.... it might not be your time.  But rather than say 'never' it might be simply 'not yet.'  There might be different plan in the journey right now.... maybe a lesson to learn and work through in this situation.  Whatever it may be, try not to personalise it.  You are not the reason the world turns, but your attitude can be a reason that things turn ugly.  Just keep moving forwards, keep working and take advantage of the next opportunity that comes your way.

Hopefully my ramble has inspired you today and would love to hear some other thoughts and mindsets as well.

Enjoy your Tuesday.
Love to you all,
Krystal :-)

Comments

Popular Posts