Beautiful Failures

(I’ll warn, this one is SUPER LONG.  Probably make yourself a cuppa and get comfy.  Honestly, I could have written so much more, but that’s for another day.  There’s a point to this post and if you’re willing to read all the way, the point will come at the end.  Enjoy!)

While I was up north over the weekend, I had some small snippets of time to just relax and reflect.  I would watch the rain falling on the trees from the cabin patio, feel the breeze down the beach and where I could just read and listen to some TED talks and motivational readings.  Oh and let’s talk about the speech by Grant Denyer at this year’s Logies (no I didn’t watch it but I listened to the speech this morning.  You can find it HERE.)

My life lately has been about ‘moving up’, ‘moving forward’, seeking the ‘next thing/new season’, becoming someone of significance that is respected.  I wanted more from my life.  In my mind, I wanted to believe that ‘my breakthrough was coming.’  And I still believe this will all happen, I can sense it… but more later.

Anyway, I 'love' when I’m frustrated, people put a mirror to me or I’m mentally reminded of things to put myself into a place of perspective.  Memories came flashing back of the significant times I failed.  The times I could have thrown in the towel and just accepted I wasn’t ‘good enough’ and settle for a life that truly wasn’t made for me.  Here’s a list of some of the big ones…. Yes I know, some are really suprising!

I completely stuffed up Year 12 and got a really low OP:  Would you believe I got an OP 21 (25 is the lowest you can get)?  Prior to this I was an A/B average.  I already got into Uni for an audition-based course so I kind of just went through the motions in Year 12.  I ended up passing everything and my QCS, but did one non-OP subject and with my subject balance, my OP was woeful.  I still remember sobbing on the side stairs of the Post Office when I read the letter outside the letter box. I thought my OP was an indication of who I was.  Yes, it limited my job options and meant I had to work harder.  But I knew that I was already at Uni for something and I could use that as a springboard to find something I wanted to do.

I had ‘crippling’ performance anxiety:  I did a vocal major at University.  I used to get the most overwhelming anxiety when it was time to sing.  I would shake, my head would throb, I would stutter over my words, I felt the need to vomit and nearly every time I walked out to perform I would sake perfusely and end up running off and have a cry.  I struggled for years with it and yes, I refuse to sing for people and perform because it absolutely petrifies me.  Get me to act or speak in front of people… no worries!  I wish I could tell you I overcame this one, but I haven’t.  It actually forced me look into the why I was scared and explore further.

I almost completely failed my final year of University:  I still remember the middle of semester 2, I had done a performance and handed in the progress of my project.  My Head Lecturer asked me in for a meeting and told me I was on track to fail half of my subject load… so close to the end.  I was devastated! And I was the only one, everyone else in the cohort was passing.  I remember when everyone was done their last performance, they were dancing and organising a ‘finally finished celebration.’  I wanted to crawl into a hole because I still had more time.  When results came, I had to face the two ‘Ns’ on my report statement and look to the next year.  I was going to just drop out, but a part of me knew I had to finish, so I just did each subject over two years while working full time waiting tables and working in Pubs.  I finished each of those subjects with a Distinction.  The sweetness and excitement when I finally finished was nothing I could truly describe.  I remember jumping straight into my car, doing a car horn lappy around Vincent Campus then going to the pub at work for a drink.  To get that degree felt so good!

I was ‘failing’ my final teacher prac so had to drop out and redo it: 
{On a side note and to give context, my Uni days over that year consisted of getting up at about 5amish, exercise, off to Uni before 7:30, do some study, lectures from 9:00 (or prac from 8:00 if it was prac time), finish Uni between 4 and 5, get changed, go to work on the Pokie shift until between midnight and 2am, go to sleep and do it all over again.  Sunday’s were spent doing Uni ALL day… and let’s no talk about what happened during assessment and exam period!} 

Various situations (another story altogether) got me into an Education Post-Grad degree.  At the time, they did the one-year course, basically a whole Education degree squished into two semesters… and Prac on top of that! I was travelling along ok, but very unsure if this was what I really wanted.  I got to my final prac, while still doing Uni and working full time and was a mess.  I struggled to keep it together, my supervising teacher was putting me under the pump and smashing me, so I had to pull out of my final prac.  I felt like a total failure because I thought I couldn’t handle it.  I decided teaching wasn’t for me and was going to just finish out the Uni year and just hit the hospitality gig full time.  The next year, I received an email from the Uni asking if I was going to finish my final prac and a spot was on offer if I wanted to take it.  I was reluctant but realised it would be poor form if I did all that work and went through all that heart ache to just leave with 5 weeks of prac to go.  So I accepted.  I had to go back to the same school, but had a different supervising teacher.  He was one of the best supervising teachers I ever worked for and I am absolutely grateful that he gave me so many tools to start my teaching career. 

My Miscarriage, struggle to fall pregnant again and near death after having Tayla:  I fell pregnant at the end of 2007 and due in 2008.  It was a surprise but at the time I was super excited to become a mum.  My dream of a baby before 25 was going to happen!  I got into the second trimester and thought I was good and safe.  And then I got head exhaustion at 16 weeks and miscarried a day later.  Miscarriage sucks!  Imagine feeling like you’re being stabbed in the guts then start to hemorriage through the house, get to the hospital sobbing then be told you’ve lost your child?  It’s hard.  And then the next day looking at the ultrasound you saw a day earlier, one day a healthy heart beat and the next day nothing.  It took just over a year to get pregnant again, that being with my Tayla.  As much as I still wonder sometimes about the baby that never was, I can’t imagine my life without Tayla.  She is my sunshine… my everything.  Hearing her cry and holding her for the first time was indescribable – I honestly can’t put it into words. 

But a week after she was born, I got quite sick.  I got so unwell, I hemoraged when she was a week old and nearly bled to death.  Thankfully I lived around the corner from the ambulance and they were onto me pretty quick.  It was a bit of a journey to recover and have life back to ‘normal’ again, but I pulled through and I am reminded when I think back to that situation that tomorrow isn’t always guaranteed and it’s an awesome miracle I am still here.  So world… I am not done yet!

I completely bombed my first teaching job and was almost deemed ‘unsuitable to teach:’

I was put into a Music Teaching position by Ed QLD in a school that wanted someone else and fought to have this person and not me.  So deep down I always felt like I never belonged there.  I had no support, advice, observations of any sort, and was just thrown into the deep end:  7 x Year 8 Music classes, 1 x Year 9 Music class, and 1x Year 9 SOSE class.  Basically, I had to teach a specific format with no allowance for adjustment, in a style that clearly wasn’t suitable for the cohort.  The kids were forced to do the class once a week for an entire year and I stepped in during term 3 (so can you imagine how ‘fun’ it would have been?)  My SOSE class were pure ‘evil.’  They used to save their lunch and hunt down broken pencils just so they could throw them at the fans and trash the room when I taught the period 7 lesson.  And then the one day I was lining up my most ‘feral’ Year 8 Music class and the Principal at the time telling me how to teach my class in front of the kids (I pretty much lost complete control of that class for the rest of the time I was there.)  I remember crying at my desk nearly every afternoon, offered little support or counsel and upon going to the Doctor, told the stress in my blood was at dangerous levels.  I sat my suitability interview towards the end of that year (story in itself.)  And did not have my contract renewed at the end of the year (ironically, I was introduced to the teacher ‘they wanted’ during a lunch break when they were showing my desk and then bought in for a meeting.  The following year I was wondering why I couldn’t get a job.  After constant following up, them not answering calls, etc, they finally told me I was given a low rating and had to do 200 days of relief at state schools to be deemed a ‘suitable teacher.’  It broke me.  I never wanted to walk into a classroom again.  I wanted to just hide from the entire world.  I felt embarrassed in myself. 

But I knew I had to keep moving, even if it was one step at a time, constantly working through what I needed to fix and learning to find faith that maybe I wasn’t so bad.  Then, just when I was about to completely throw in the towel, Calvary took me on… I put some work in… did the slog, fell, picked myself up, took on feedback even when I felt frustrated, continued to pick myself up despite stuff going on.  Now I feel proud of who I am as an educator and believe I am rocking this teacher gig.  I still have some learning, but imagine if I gave up 10 years ago?  Imagine the kids I would have never impacted?  Imagine where my life would be now?  Judging from where it was then, probably not that far at all!  I have been so blessed for my perseverance.

I got a home rental approval overturned 2 days after signing the contract:  This one might not seem like much. But let me tell you, if I came face to face with the Agent who did this, I would likely give them a massive hug and shout them a drink (Remax Excellence back in 2010, in-case anyone is wondering.)  Long story short, my partner at the time, myself and my then 6-month old daughter didn’t have the lease renewed in the house we were at the time and found two that we applied for:  One in Music Court near a friend of my ex’s who was an alcoholic as well and the other was in Mundey Court right near the College I work at now and next to the church.  We got approved the one in Music Court and had signed the contract.  I remember getting a phone call the next day letting us know that we actually had to wait because the ‘owner was overseas.’   We were cranky because we had nowhere to live.  The next day the house in Mundey Court was offered.  My ex was still hopeful the one on Music Court was going to be approved but I was stubborn and took the one in Mundey Court. 

Can I tell you something?  If it wasn’t for that, I would have never picked up more work at Calvary, I would never attended the church, never found Christ and I don’t even want to begin to imagine what my life would have been like now. A frustration then became a blessing later.  This is all a part of a bigger story in itself!

I failed my first fitness certification videos three times (not Les Mills.):  I had an interesting start of choreographed group fitness.  I struggled to get double digits in a class, teaching a program that was not ideal for me.  Participants were complaining about how bad I was and the GFM was ready to give up on me. No mentor, no real plan or direction.  Just walking in hoping for the best.  Even when I sent my certification videos, the assessor respectfully asked me if I really wanted to do this and if it was really for me?  I told her I would do what it took and she mentored me in order to help me pass (I had to send three videos and then I passed with conditions that I had to send a video every quarter for evaluation for one year.)  I then jumped on a Spin bike and my ‘life as an instructor’ changed for the better.  I took on Pump and Grit and felt my confidence slowly build as an instructor.  I practiced, reflected, revised, learned to read my participants better, filmed myself, watched educational videos, worked on building my self-confidence as an instructor.  To think I nearly gave up…. Now I am in demand, teach several classes, are an Advanced Elite Pump instructor and working (slowly) towards one day getting on the QLD team.  But it started with a decision to not give up when the cards were against me.  And I am soooo thankful for how I have been rewarded.

So if you got to this stage, wahoo… go you!  Honestly, I have so many more stories to tell, but these were the main ones that have impacted my ability to be resilient.  Every time I ‘fail’ I am reminded of these situations and comforted in the fact that I can overcome and be successful.  I just have to choose to put the work in, listen, learn and accept where I am and where I want to be.  I want to be better, I want to encourage others, I want to motivate and impact, I want to do my bit towards being the answer.  So, awesome people, if someone like me can get to where I am now, anyone reading this can.  I am not gifted, nor am I perfect,  but I am willing and determined. 


Please be encouraged that you are capable of anything.  You just have to be prepared to choose.   

Comments

Popular Posts